View Single Post
Old October 12, 2018, 12:10 PM   #44
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTnTn View Post
A Savage 99H in 30-30 is my beautiful old classic; the early 99s are hard to best in the lever gun world imo. But the modern Henrys are very nice and affordable.
While I also enjoy my 1949 99EG in 300 Savage and marvel that it's design is only 5 years newer than the Win '94's, it's not the most graceful of designs in my book. The stock is a bit blocky around the receiver but for it's time, it is still pretty good.

For me, the real beauties of the levergun world fall into 2 camps, the classic design and the modern. The classic style of a Winchester 1866 & 1873 followed very closely by the Winchester 1892 & 1894 styles are timeless, rugged, and at the same time, elegant. They scream America and Damn Proud of It!!!

As to the newer modern style, one stands above all; the Winchester 88. Introduced some 56 years after the Model 99, it's sleek design is absolutely gorgeous, especially the pre 64 models with the cut checkering on the stock and the cloverleaf recoil block.

With it's 3 lug front locking bolt, it truly is a "bolt action rifle with a lever" as Winchester marketed it. Sleeker than the Finwolf and 99, it is the epitome of style and grace. I'm proud to own a beautiful 1959 version in .308.

Page generated in 0.02097 seconds with 8 queries