Thread: Black Powder
View Single Post
Old September 17, 2021, 03:57 PM   #8
Old_School

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22 View Post
Anyone have a bead on black powder? FFG or FFFG?

I recently acquired a kit for a Traditions Shenandoah rifle. I intend to shoot patched round balls and kind of want to stick with real black powder instead of a black powder replacement. Unless, of course there is a real benefit to the black powder replacements. I currently have some of the Pyrodex RS Select FFG powder.

Let's have a discussion on the benefits of such powders vs the nostalgia of the real deal. I am certain that I could do a decent job of producing black powder, but I do not have the time, nor the patience to do so right now.

Also, any tips on where to begin on charge weight for .490" lead balls with a .015" lubed patch? I have not yet had the chance to measure the depth of the rifling or the bore diameter yet.
For my purposes, I've always liked the real deal. My buddies and I tried Pyrodex and a few other substitutes and we always had much better luck with black powder in rainy or humid conditions. Have had a lot more hang-fires with substitutes in wet conditions, no matter how well the bore and lock was protected from rain.

Also, it may be psychological for me, but I feel like I get faster ignition at the range with black powder.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.02565 seconds with 8 queries