View Single Post
Old January 26, 2014, 11:23 AM   #6
kraigwy

Keep shooting with both eyes open. Closing one eye and cocking your head as mentioned screws up your equaliberam and tires the eyes.

If you shoot right handed and are left eye dominant, then tape a piece of dark paper on the right lens of you shooting glasses (which if you don't were START) and keep both eyes open.

You say you're shooting to the left; didn't say how much. You can adjust your impact with your trigger finger. I can't say for sure if its the problem without watching you shoot. Slide your trigger finger in the direction you want to move your impact same as you would the rear sight.

If you're shooting to the left slide your trigger finger a bit to the right, and if shooting to the right, push your trigger finger farther into the trigger guard.

You concentrate on the front sight. You have three objects in your sight picture. The rear sight, front sight, and target. You cannot concentrate on more then one thing. That has to be the front sight.

Trigger control is critical. Everything can be perfect but you can screw it up with poor trigger control.

Trigger control is SMOOTH,....notice I didn't say "slow squeeze", I said "smooth".

For example if shooting double action, or a striker fired gun, Don't slowly pull the trigger while your trying to keep the front sight on the target. Pull your trigger smoothing and continuously.

Grip is important. Assuming you are shooting with two hands. Get a firm but not tight grip with your right hand (you said you shoot right handed). If your grip is too tight, your hand starts shaking plus it makes it hard to move the trigger without disturbing the sight picture. If the shooting hand is more relaxed there is less disturbance with movement by the trigger finger. Don't let the trigger finger touch the gun anywhere but on the trigger.

If you need a more firm grip, then grip hard with your left or support hand.

The best method of working on trigger control and grip is to use a laser sight. You can see what is happening when the trigger falls by watch the red dot on your dry fire target.

Some say put a dime on your barrel and dry fire without the dime falling off, that's ok I guess but you're concentrating on the dime. It tells you nothing about what is going on at the target.

Dry firing is critical in rifle and pistol shooting. But like live fire you must follow the basic rules of firearm safety.

Treat every gun as its loaded. There is always a chance that the gun you are dry firing isn't dry.

Keep the trigger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot OR DRY FIRE

Don't aim at anything you don't want to shoot. You'd hate to be dry
firing at your neighbors dog and find out you're not dry firing.

Be sure of your back stop, or what's behind the target. Put your dry fire target in a location where as if you screw up, and have a round in you gun, you don't want to screw up and put a round through the wall without knowing what's on the other side of that wall.

It is just too easy to for get to unload your handgun when dry firing. I've done it. But I dry fire at my pistol targets in my back yard range.

Hope this helps a bit, It's about the best I can offer without watching you shoot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03696 seconds with 8 queries