View Single Post
Old June 5, 2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Mr X

Hmmm.... the pages are small... I may read a good chunk of this as so far it isn't too horrible RE the actual data.

EDIT: So half-way through...

I'm sad to see the continued citation of the Kellermann study that indicated presence of firearms in home conferred an increased risk vs mortality. This paper has been thoroughly evaluated on this very board and is generally considered to make improper conclusions. Certainly nothing causative was ever supported by that paper

The strongest public-health facet of firearms ownership/access/use etc. in my opinion is suicide. Notably this report summarized data indicating 60% US suicides used a firearm and 83% were successful. For comparison, they indicated 80% of suffocation methods were successful. (Interesting to me, I figures it was higher than 83%)

One public health stat I should verify that I thought was interesting was 3% of firearm assaults are fatal. Certainly getting shot has sinificant morbidity but I thought this was low.

Overall the paper offers nothing really new, cited the usual suspects in data sources and recommend future study that is impossible given the lack of nation-wide data on firearms and socioeconomic data insufficiency.

Please note I'm not an academic researcher, I don't intensely read the public health literature, including firearms and I find public health minutiae to be highly correlated with nap time.

Last edited by Mr X; June 5, 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.03605 seconds with 8 queries