View Single Post
Old June 19, 2017, 01:14 AM   #2
bamaranger

shock

I think the idea of a bullet creating some type of shock wave the short circuits a critters system via sometype of "pulse" is largely exaggerated.

We can see examples of terrible explosive wounds on smaller critters with very fast small bullets, and similar damage on larger critters with really large caliber (.50BMG) but beyond those extremes, many bullet wounds look a lot like another regardless of caliber. And some solidly hit animals drop at the shot, others sprint away wildly, regardless of caliber.

I believe the condition of the animal (relaxed v. adrenalin charged) and the nature of the shot (close range with loud blast v. longer range and quieter), as well as whether or not the central nervous system is disrupted, play largely into how an animal behaves when struck. I think shots close to the spine, can drop an animal due to a shock to the spinal cord, but undamaged, an animal can recover its feet and escape from wound that does not damage the spine or underlying organs. I also believe an animal can drop due to major shoulder bones or hips being broken, but I suspect this is a balance thing and not so much blow. Mortally wounded shoulder or hip shot animals can recover to their feet to cover some distance before expiring. Note here I mean through a single shoulder or hip.

Page generated in 0.02481 seconds with 8 queries