View Single Post
Old July 16, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1
ipscchef

Loads for a Colt Official Police

Hi Guys,

I am getting ready to develop a load for a nice Official Police. It looks to be of 1960's vintage, and is in excellent mechanical condition. I am interested in getting a load that shoots to point of aim from the fixed sights.
It is marked "Richmond PD." on the backstrap.

I am assuming for the moment that the original load was a 158gr. lead bullet of some configuration or other. What I have on hand for bullets are 158gr. Kieths' plain base bullets from Leadhead Bullets and some Hornady 158gr. SWCHPS' that are swaged. Powder on hand includes Universal, Unique, and HP38. As a guess, I imagine the original load, given that bullet weight would be around 850fps, + or -. This is fine for what I want to do with it, even though it could probably take somewhat hotter loads. But again I want to get it to shoot to point of aim. If a different bullet or powder is required, I can do so, but I think these components should get me where I want to go with this gun.

What do you guys think? I realize that this is a pretty straightforward and simple project, but any advice or knowledge about the older .38 LEO loads would be appreciated. My main question would be do I go with the hard cast Keiths' or the swaged Hornadys'?

Willy

Page generated in 0.03447 seconds with 8 queries