View Single Post
Old July 14, 2018, 04:07 PM   #11
RC20

Quote:
your goal is not clear. Do you want top accuracy for the purpose of hunting or top accuracy for the purpose of target shooting? A target bullet is not a hunting bullet. Target bullets are generally made in weights appropriate for that purpose. Hunting bullets are made in various weights as to accommodate the intended game animal (e.g., small Southern deer as opposed to Elk and Moose, etc.).
I find a lot of error in the above statement.

First accuracy as more to do with twist and weight than the exact bullet type. You can certainly get under 1 inch with many hunting bullets if you reload.

The Winchester eshes (XXX?) is certainly good enough for hunting. But to get good accuracy out of it (or find out what it can do) you would need to reload. Its possible it just needs a bit longer than factory COAL (the throat may be a bit eroded)

Its not likely worn as they tend not to get shot enough to do that and a 30-06 is good for 5000+ rounds before accuracy starts falling off for target (more like e8k for most of us)

150 to 180 grain are supposedly are ideal for a 1-10 twist 06. Some will shot 150s and even lighter gangbusters all the way down to 125.

I would suggest you get some Carboi Killer 2000 and clean it. We had an old 270 that would not shoot, it had a lot of carbon build up. It was cleaned but the old cleaners are not that effective so it built up layers. As good as CK2k is, that took me a lot of brush, let sit and soak and patch out (nylon brush with the CK2k put on with an eye dropper, a few strokes, repeat when its out the bore, dry patch, repeat until clean.

Don't be fooled by a cleaning barrel, if you get a borresocope you will see the carbon (maybe copper but not likely ) built up. Bore Tech Eliminaor is a good one to clean out copper while helping with carbon. Both are non odor and non haz, love em.

They do come clear quickly if shot and barrel is warm, my MO is to shoot one or one of the ones I have clean to do the clean at the range .

I am a 1 inch (3/4 to 15/16 at 110 yards (longest I can setup with the 270 with 5 shot groups and lead tip hunting bullets. Best factory was pushing 2 inches. Havn't tried factory again though.

Page generated in 0.02593 seconds with 8 queries