Thread: Treated Media
View Single Post
Old October 13, 2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Poindexter

Just FWIW I throw the polish packet away when I replace my corncob.

I start with fired and range pickup brass in the tumbler with walnut shell media until the only contaminant on the brass is the jewler's rogue or whatever that red powder is.

Then run all that through the media separator and retumble in corncob media. I use dryer sheets, lots of them. I used to cut them in one inch squares, but now I just pull a dryer sheet, tear it into five or six strips and let it fly.

Once bits and pieces of jewler's rogue and dirt are trapped in the dryer sheet, they don't get back out. What I do is check the dryer sheets every 30-60 minutes while the tumbler is running, and add more dryer sheets when the ones already in there are getting kinda black looking.

I find that when I need four or five dryer sheets to finish cleaning a batch of brass it's time for new corncob.

The one thing that really gobbles up my media is case sizer lube. I run a couple shouldered rifle calibers that need lube in the sizer. I may start washing those in simple green and water to get the case lube off - case lube doesn't get picked up by dryer sheets very well and tends to glom up my corn cob.

With straight walled pistol, carbide sizers and no lube in the sizing die I can run 2000, maybe 2500 pieces of 45 Colt brass through one purchase of corn cob media 200 at a time, using maybe half a box of generic dryer sheets along the way.

Page generated in 0.03591 seconds with 8 queries