View Single Post
Old August 6, 2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Clark

Quote:
Goatwhiskers Clark, if I understand you correctly, you're shooting a .45 cal bullet down a
.41 cal bore in a gun with a cast iron frame, not steel. Not only that but the lug is soldered on, not welded. Your business, but I'd do some serious thinking about that. Goat
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

It looks like the Solder joint is .5" x 2.55" = 1.275 sq in

Silver solder joints are good in shear for somewhere between 17.5 ksi and 35 ksi.
That would make the joint good for somewhere between 22,312 pounds and 44,625 pounds of force.
The inside diameter of 45 LC brass is ~ .45" = .159 sq in.

The max chamber pressure for that Solder would then be between 140,000 psi and 280,000 psi.

In that .410 I have shot :
405 gr .458 lead .981", 40 gr H110 2.75"

That is essentially a 454 Casull double load with longer OAL to get the powder to fit.

Do I need to go through the hoop stress on the .26" thick chamber walls or the section modulus for the L shaped receiver, or the double shear on the hinge pin, or the lug...?

It is enough like a Handi Rifle that I have already done a stress analysis, so I just did it.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Page generated in 0.02127 seconds with 8 queries