View Single Post
Old August 1, 2002, 06:13 PM   #1
DARTH 44

New member`s 1st post-Civil war revolvers

Having spent countless hours enjoying all this excellent gun-info I decided to join TFL. HI ALL!!
Remember ''Outlaw Josey Wales''?After watching that great movie I asked myself a question ''If I were living in the years of Civil War,and like Josey I could have four handguns to protect myself,what guns would they be and how carried?''
Conditions:The guns must be revos,american made(no Lefaucheux,please)and available prior or during the Civil War(up to 1865) Enter my choices:
1. A six-inch 44cal. STARR M1858 in a strongside thigh holster.
WHY? this would be my ''quick response'' gun as its DA lockwork and relatively short barrel could ba an aid for fast first shot.
2. An eight-inch 44cal. REMINGTON M1858 in a crossdraw holster.
WHY? I like the Remingtons for their ability to quick change cylinders(kind of a 19th century speedloader)and for their strong frame & looks.
3. A 7,5'' 44cal. COLT 3rd DRAGOON in a shoulder holster.
WHY? 3rd DRAGOON`s stout 50-grain powderloads and additional sights could help if I needed more stopping power or if
I had to fire a longer,more precise shot.
4. A S&W Model 2 in 32 Long rimfire as a hideout/backup/boot gun

I emailed John Taffin asking for his opinion.Here`s what he answered "I rarely ever play the what if game myself but your choices are fine''

Soo,what do you guys think? Pros?Cons? What would your 4-sixgun battery look like? Sorry for being a little longwinded but there are so many questions,just waiting to be asked
Thanks

P.S. I hope you`ll forgive me possible mistakes in my English.

Page generated in 0.03652 seconds with 8 queries