View Single Post
Old December 30, 2012, 03:18 AM   #26
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
Bart B.
The palma rifles had a little more free bore than the other rifles.
.020 or so the free bore ran a little faster and the 26 to 30 inch barrels gave some advantage.
For years there was no ball powder could reach the some level of stick powders in palma shooters. but many people including my self have won many a matches bench rest shooting a ball powder especially out of a 222.
For CMP shooting ball powders is all I have ever used in m14s. I had BLC works great for me. I shoot with German Salazar who uses a ball powder and stick.
All in all when working at Rock Island as a Engineer in the rifle harmonics Dept most all rifles will shoot unexpectedly Well with some powders and poor with others.
Back in the late 80s some dim wit took 30-06 out of palma shooting, being misinformed about the range. the 155 grain palma bullet is good for distance but the average shooter is not going to pay the price.
Shooting 155gr bullets from a .308 is the best way I know to reach your goal. but an M-14 your hammering the piston a little to hard.
The reason I usually shoot heavier bullets is simply that I don't like shooting close to 3000 fps with a .308 and that's what the 155s require (2970 fps is fairly normal for a 155gr Palma load).
My highest mid-range score ever, a 600-48X was fired with Berger 155gr VLDs. I don't like shooting close to 3000 fps with a .308 and that's what the 155s require (2970 fps is fairly normal for a 155gr Palma load).
lots of palma shooters have gone to the ball powders. even in the hot Arizona summer.
respectably

Edward5759

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"

Page generated in 0.03215 seconds with 8 queries