View Single Post
Old October 6, 2000, 10:21 AM   #24
LASur5r

trpt and Skorzeny,
Obviously we do hold some ideas in common, but the main thought is we all learn from our experiences and we should continue to learn until we move on to our greater reward.
Just as there are many cars, there are many martial arts styles. We have many choices and depending on where we live, we might have access to many methods of martial arts or maybe to one...and even that is on a part time basis.
Human nature...we rely on what we know works for us. When the crunch occurs, we fall back on what works (for us)...this is why many of us continue to add to our arsenal while trying to keep it simple. If we are not confident in our techniques, we are tentative in its application.
When it comes down to it, almost all practice is a sport to a certain extent because we know that our opponent in the school,dojo,kwoon,boxing ring, etc..will not kill us(at least not in class). We have rules, and "forbidden" techniques because we would soon not have anyone to practice with...too many injuries and where do you hide all the bodies?
In the street, we have no guarantee...in fact, more often or not we are assured that our opponent will try to kill us with everything he can get his hands on. And when you get jumped, it is usually with more than one guy and often with some kind of weapon in their hands. (My experiences and the experiences of quite a few people.)
So we try to practice as realistically as possible to find out what works for us. Back to full circle.
B.L. said< " I started out on the path of learning and found that a kick was just a kick and a punch was just a punch...I practiced and practiced and practiced to come to the point in (his) life to find out that a kick was just a kick and a punch was just a punch." And that comes from a man who many in this world considered an accomplished martial artist.

We are all on our pathes, maybe different ways to get to the same place, but we arre trying to reach that place...in that we are brothers.

That makes at least three places that we share commonality and in that we are brothers. Peace, brothers.

Page generated in 0.02659 seconds with 8 queries