View Single Post
Old June 19, 2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Winchester_73

Quote:
What is impressive is the ability of the Germans to design an assault rifle, bring it into production, and replace with a new design 2 years later, and again with the Stg44
IMO, the G41 and G43 were semi automatic rifles, so they are very different from the STG44. The G41 and G43 fired full power rifle catridges, and the magazines were 10ds. The G41 actually had a fixed magazine. The MP43 (machine pistol 1943) aka Sturmgewehr 44 (which translates literally into "assault rifle" or "storm rifle" of 1944) was actually a brand new concept. Believe it or not, it was Hitler who coined the term "assault rifle" that many of us debate with others today. IMO, anything that does not have select fire capability cannot be an "assault rifle."

Although one could say that the STG 44 was intended to replace the G43, its design was a marked departure from the G43. The STG fired 8mm Mauser short cartridges, which fired a 125gr bullet at 2200 fps. This is close to a common 7.62x39 load of 123gr bullet at 2400 fps. In addition, the STG 44 had select fire capability. The design also featured 30 rd magazines as standard.

As far as the value of a G41 or G43, aside from condition, value would depend on the maker, and if all the pieces match each other. I never handled a G41, but I know the G43 had many serialed parts. I would imagine the G41 would have SN'd parts too since it was a new design for the Germans when it came out. Because of that, there would be impetus for them to know which parts are original on a given example.

Page generated in 0.03941 seconds with 8 queries