View Single Post
Old August 13, 2012, 08:23 AM   #15
SirHerc

Quote:
I think you need to address the mental side of CCW. Since you made a comment about prior military service, I'll assume you've been indoctrinated to the potential of shooting another human. How well that stuck and if you retained any of that attitude may make some difference if you need to use your concealed firearm at some point.
This is not an issue for me. Let me qualify this by saying that I DO NOT DEVALUE HUMAN LIFE. That stated, if I am ever in a him / them or me situation its going to always be me. I feel that’s a decision you have to make before you ever buy a weapon gun, knife, club or rock.

All the responses so far have been exceptionally helpful but several have given me a great deal of focus I had been lacking.

Quote:
Lastly, always respect the permit you carry and the responsibility it entails. If you have a temper, leave it at home. Learn your state laws and memorize them. Don't ever drink alcohol and carry, it will bite you in the ass should you ever need to shoot someone.
I asked this question because I have been struggling whit the decision to carry because I am a family man and it is an awesome responsibility. All my concerns about CC came back to the same conclusion. I am going to CC because I want to see my family at the end of every day. I have a clear plan now. Leave everything at home and only take my work stuff, insulin, blood tester, food, weapon, training and most importantly responsibility with me. I may make a card for my wallet I can put in a photo flap behind my permit that says this. Also, you will be pleased to know that since I am diabetic I never drink, EVER, been dry since 1999 when I was diagnosed.

Quote:
Don't go and tell everyone you meet that you carry a pistol. Only tell those that need to know. I.E. The wife, and any close friends that you feel you can trust with this information... And lastingly, it can happen anytime, any place, so if you leave it at home it won't do you a dang bit of good. Take your safety equipment with you wherever you can legally carry it.
Were you a Gunnery Sergeant? Because, that is gunny wisdom, I love it.

Quote:
I highly suggest you go to any reputable book store and purchase/read a copy of "In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection" by Massad Ayoob
Trying to find a PDF version of it. If anyone has one or knows where to get one please post a link.

Page generated in 0.02242 seconds with 8 queries