View Single Post
Old December 23, 2009, 01:22 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Jim, you do realize that the final step in the bluing process is burnishing/buffing with 0000 steel wool?

I can tell you from a good bit of experience that 0000 steel wool (in the absence of other abrasives such as rust particles) will not harm a blued finish unless you get aggressive.

The rust particles, on the other hand (or any other abrasive) will definitely damage the finish if rubbed around on it--regardless of the method used to do it.

Spent a lot of time removing light surface rust from guns. Tried it with rags and with steel wool. Tried it with oil and without oil. The best way I found--best in terms of minimal damage to the finish while still effective at removing the rust--was to use 0000 steel wool dry. NO oil.

Dust the steel wool out frequently and dust off the surface of the gun frequently to prevent the rust particles from building up and being rubbed around on the finish. Go slowly so you can keep track of the condition of the finish--if there's a lot of rust being removed it's hard to keep the particles from doing some damage to the finish but you can minimize it if you don't get in a hurry or get overly aggressive.

If you use oil during this process it's hard to keep the rust particles from being rubbed around on the surface because they will be caught by the oil and held in the wool and on the surface.

After the rust is removed, oil the surface to prevent a recurrence.

I know that's not what sounds right but that's what works best in my experience.

I do agree with Jim that if the gun has any collectability the finish should definitely not be messed with by an amateur.

Page generated in 0.03269 seconds with 8 queries