View Single Post
Old February 16, 1999, 09:40 AM   #35
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Rob-
I think you're doing a *great* job in your effort to explain that LEO's should not be exempt from basic rules of safe firearms handling. Understand that I'm not attacking anyone in particular on this issue, but I am looking for more info.

I was not aware that LEO's are trained to cover a "potential" target with the muzzle of a firearms (ie: at a point *prior* to identifying that target as a threat). Further, I don't understand, or agree, with such training. Clearly the "low ready" position grants you greater ability to scan the subjects hands, while not covering his body. It's only a millicsecond transition from here to a center mass hit.

I guess what I'm having trouble envisioning is a situation in which an LEO would be justified (from a common sense safety standpoint, not legal) in covering a target where the trained and safe civilian would not.

When you say, <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Times New Roman">quote:</font><HR>As an LEO, there are times when you point a weapon at a suspected armed/dangerous individual until you know that everything is okay or that person is in custody.[/quote], I get confused. Certainly, If I found an "unarmed" man in my home, garage or car, my muzzle will be covering the area just below his hands while I assess....same for an LEO. In fact, I would expect any civilian to cover the body parts of a "suspected armed/dangerous individual", same as an LEO.

But we're talking more about a clearing drill (civilian at home or LEO in someone else's home). Shouldn't both individuals be moving with the weapon at the low ready, short of perfect knowledge that no innocents are in the vicinity? Even more so for LEO's moving as teams?
Rich
Rich

Page generated in 0.03513 seconds with 8 queries