View Single Post
Old October 27, 2005, 09:20 PM   #111
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
He told me he had one in every room, because you never know which room you might be in when you suddenly need one.
The only person I know who does this is a retired State Trooper. I don't follow his example, but it's certainly hard to argue that he doesn't have the experience to back up his decision...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdemeo
where the heck do some of you people live, that you feel that unsafe
I don't feel unsafe. But I do like to be prepared.

As I pointed out earlier, I don't carry a gun in the shower, I started this thread after reading about a serial killer who specifically targeted people in the shower because of their vulnerability.

I think it's important to realize that people are vulnerable to criminal attack, even in the safety of their shower or bathroom. Not to live in fear as a result of that knowledge, but to make rational decisions based on reality, not on wishful thinking.
Quote:
NEVER have I been so paranoid as some of you are in your own houses
That doesn't surprise me a bit! It's not very likely that a serial killer is likely to attack you in the shower in the middle of a military installation, is it?

Ok, seriously, there's a huge gap between being paranoid versus pretending that a house offers invulnerability against criminal attack. In the same way that you wear your body armor and carry spare ammo in combat, it's important for people to realize their vulnerabilities and rationally assess what action they want to take to mitigate those vulnerabilities. Carrying in the shower is extreme--that's why I don't do it. But people have been killed/attacked in the shower and we know that criminals realize that people are more vulnerable in the shower. Therefore it's worth thinking about, at the least.
Quote:
it just seems to me it must be an aweful way to spend every day
Well, I can't speak for others, but I don't spend the entire day on alert. I have made what I consider reasonable provision for the defense of myself and my family. That means I DON'T have to be on constant alert. I can relax knowing that if things get crazy, I have provided a means to let me know of potential danger and have at hand the means to deal with threats.
Quote:
you are a victim of yor own fears. they now control your every move and thought. and thats just sad.
It would be if it were true. And I suppose it is for some. But I don't live in fear. I don't let threats control my every move. I have thought through things that might happen and have taken some precautions that I consider to be common sense. Now I don't have to worry--I can relax.

I understand your comments and you have good points. But remember, just because a person has fire extinguishers handy doesn't mean they live in constant fear of fire. In fact, just the reverse is often true.

Page generated in 0.03629 seconds with 8 queries