View Single Post
Old January 15, 2011, 02:17 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Lieutenant Mark Hollinhead and Officer Danny Arnette responded to assist.
I know both of those guys, and used to work with Arnette!

Quote:
From reading news reports over the years, Okaloosa County has more than its fair share of poachers. Seems like a regular activity there.
You have no idea....

It is very difficult to explain why there is such a problem, without actually showing some one the contributing factors.
Much of the problem is the attitude and mindset of the locals. Many of the small towns in the area have the same families living in them, that were there in the early 1900s. They feel that everything belongs to them, since their families were there before the military and retirees.

This, of course, is made worse by geographic isolation. Eglin AFB, NAS Whiting Field, Duke Field, the Ranger Training detachment, conservation areas, and the surrounding bodies of water create quite a few geographically isolated communities. Since this also limits several of the small towns from growing (they are literally boxed-in by military bases), there is no opportunity for "new blood" to come in, and help influence a change in attitude and behavior.

99% of the time... they don't get caught. So, what is there to worry about?

When I lived there, I saw at least 10 poached deer for every deer taken legally. ...And most of the poached deer weren't even taken for meat. The bastards would cut the heads off, and leave the body to rot.

Page generated in 0.04061 seconds with 8 queries