View Single Post
Old May 11, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
olyinaz

My high shootin' 1851 update

Just wanted to give a quick update on my aforementioned Pietta 1851 Colt brasser that came to me stock shooting about 10" high. I fabricated a new front sight post from brass bar stock (Ace Hardware) just as a first effort and judging from the photo I'd say I got it pretty close.

This group was actually my last cylinder, after I'd switch to black powder from American Pioneer and the gun was so filthy it was getting hard to turn the cylinder. This was 15 yards off hand with 32gr of German Scheutzen (seems like perfectly nice BP) and my point about the gun being filthy was that initially I was shooting 35gr. of Am. Pioneer and the groups were smaller and a bit closer to right on elevation when the gun was clean and my hands & eyes were still fresh. It still shot a bit left in all cases however. Could be the shooter of course but honestly this gun doesn't seem to be one that makes me flinch or pull shots so I think it's just shooting a tad left but we'll see.

I will say this, a bunch of fools with Glocks ran me off the range today and I'm still a bit miffed over it. The straw that broke the camel's back was the time I was down range putting up a new target and when I turned around to come back I saw, to my surprise and disgust, that two of them had their guns in their hands at their stations and were fiddling with them...DAMN that chaps my hide! And to a man they were blazing away at 10 yards and shooting pie plate sized groups. Friggen yahoos...

Now the Glock is a fine Austrian weapon and I'm not disparaging the firearm in any way but when a an old duffer with a dreaded brass frame 1851 Italian Colt knockoff is the guy shooting the smaller groups at longer yardage then something's wrong with this picture and it ain't the guns! OK...rant over...

Getting back to the 1851, now I know how high my sight needs to be so all I've left is a decision how to style it. What do you think of the tall post? I could fashion one that looks more like a Remington post. Have you seen the coin front sight blades? What do you think of those? I could even buy an old Indian head penny or buffalo nickel to use for it I suppose...might be kind of neat.

Comments welcome.

Thanks,
Oly

Page generated in 0.02576 seconds with 8 queries