View Single Post
Old November 15, 2001, 08:43 PM   #13
shy_man

I remember when I was told by one of my instructor that there are only two kinds of martial arts. One that is for ring competition (as amusement) and the other is for real self defense.

I have seen people including some showbiz personalities who made some style and themselves very popular all over the country but I am surprised when I read in the papers (martial arts circles)personalities that were winners in a free style fight that mostly uses traditional karate.

A true experience I had, I sparred with one of the brother of Presas (FMA) when I was a student and ask me to give all I've got. He uses purely karate with many blockings, I thought in the first place that blockings in karate is not that usable but then, correct blockings would hardly let any punch gets into from abdomen to your neck

I agree with some comments that wide stances in karate has good purpose that is to prepare and strengthen a student. At first, I ask my self that how lousy to practice kata's and penant's but I realize later that it will improve movements. How can one appreciate to learn martial arts if immediately get a punching bag to box and kick without knowing the philosophy and history of a certain martial arts. Every one can trained and kick a punching bag but not all can learn the true way of traditional karate.

Having a few true skills in traditional karate counts a lot and that makes one a true warrior in the world of hand to hand combat.

Just a personal opinion not making tradional karate glamorous.

Page generated in 0.02123 seconds with 8 queries