View Single Post
Old November 21, 2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Theohazard

The AAC Mini-4 is just a shorter (and therefore louder) version of the M4-2000. Yankee Hill also makes several different rifle suppressors, but I'm not sure which one you're referring to and I don't have any personal experience with their products. Generally, their products aren't going to be quite as high-quality as a company like AAC, Surefire, or Silencerco, but they'll be cheaper. And they're still really good.

The AAC M4-2000 is one of the quietest 5.56 suppressors on the market, but it has more gas blowback than some others and also isn't as durable. If I were buying a 5.56 suppressor right now I would buy the Silencerco Saker, hands down. It has the strongest baffle design and baffle materiel on the market, and has a truly revolutionary modular mounting system that lets you mount it on muzzle devices designed for other company's suppressors.

.22 suppressors use the same thread pitch as most 9mm and 5.56 suppressors, but they're not interchangeable for the most part:

1) Nobody who actually cares about their 5.56 suppressor is going to shoot .22 through it; the lead and extra carbon fouling is going to build up in the suppressor and they're usually not designed to be taken apart (you don't want a center-fire rifle suppressor that can be taken apart; they don't need it and they're louder and weaker that way).

2) If you shoot 5.56 through your .22 suppressor you're not going to have a .22 suppressor for very long.

3) No 5.56 suppressor will work with 9mm because the bullet is too big. And any 9mm suppressor that works with a 5.56 is going to suck at it. Take the Liberty Mystic for example: It's a 9mm suppressor that is rated for 5.56, but only if you shoot very slowly. It's stronger than most 9mm cans so therefore it's longer and heavier, but it's still not strong enough to allow you to fire 5.56 at anything but a very slow rate, and even then it puts a large amount of wear on the suppressor. And it's not as quiet as a true 5.56 suppressor. And if you made it strong enough to handle shooting 5.56 at a normal pace it would end up way to heavy to be a practical 9mm suppressor; at that point it would cause your gun to malfunction due to the weight.

So to sum it up, don't shoot .22 through a center-fire rifle suppressor or through most pistol suppressors (the SWR Octane is a notable exception) because it will foul it up with lead. And don't shoot 5.56 through a .22 suppressor because it will destroy it. And any suppressor that is designed to shoot both pistol AND center-fire rifle rounds is going to be noticeably heavier than other pistol suppressors and is going to suck as a rifle suppressor.

Also, I'd recommend a 7.62 suppressor for your first rifle suppressor if you think you're ever going to want to suppress a .308, .30-06, .243, .260, 6.5, 6.8, or 300 Blackout as well as a 5.56. A 7.62 suppressor lets you also shoot all those calibers and is just a little bit bigger, heavier, and louder than a 5.56 suppressor and has less gas blowback. For most people it makes a lot more sense to start out with a more versatile suppressor like the AAC 762-SDN-6, which is a 7.62 suppressor. That's what I use on my 5.56 and 300 Blackout (and my friend's .308). And while I'm waiting on the funds to buy a 5.56 suppressor (the Silencerco Saker) I already have another suppressor that will work on all my rifles, so when I'm going thought the 9-12 month wait it won't be so bad.

Last edited by Theohazard; November 21, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.04079 seconds with 8 queries