View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 10:57 PM   #15
BirchOrr

kraigwy, excellent post!

I especially liked:

Quote:
He would use nothing but Swiss Black Powder, he said everything else was junk.

and...

Quote:
Not all the powder would burn but would be found laying on the paper. You keep reducing the powder charge until you stop getting unburned powder on the paper. Then you add or subtract tweaking the charge until you get the accuracy you wanted.
IMHO Swiss is the best available. I've shot thousands of rounds in my time and it is simply superior. I know I'll probably take a bunch of heat for saying this and also the reason I don't post often.

Real BP (Goex/Swiss) is an explosive, substitutes are propellants. Big difference. This is why the "box" stores don't sell it. Liability and also a Federal licence required.

I do use T/7 pellets in my in-lines but they are designed to shoot them. That being said, just because something CAN shoot 150gr. DOES NOT mean that's what you should shoot. Most in-lines have a 28 inch barrel. This size barrel can't burn 150gr. of powder. At the very most, 120gr. of pellets or powder is the max that can be burned. (powder left unburned on the paper)!!! The old boy kraigwy posted about is exactly right! My in-lines shoot the same using 120gr. og Swiss or 120gr. of T/7 pellets. Imagine that.

As to the question:
Quote:
I cannot tell the difference in shooting my Inline, the difference between BP 209 primers and regulars 209 shotgun primers.
It was found not long after the introduction of 209's they were excellent ignition, but a bit too hot! They were causing problems such as: the sabot would jump ahead in the barrel from the 209 (before the powder ignited) causing a slight air gap. This led to the "crud ring" and accuracy problems. IMHO the crud ring is nothing more than melted plastic from the sabot. This is why I always clean between shots with a sabot gun to get the plastic out of the barrel... powder fouling is NOT the real issue!

Shoot em up!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...

Page generated in 0.03788 seconds with 8 queries