View Single Post
Old August 23, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1
Major Dave (retired)

What's the most awesome dove shot you ever saw/made?

Maybe you made the shot, or maybe someone else made it and you were there to witness it.

I witnessed a 14 year old buddy (I was 14, also), shooting a SXS .410 shoot a double on incoming flock of six, then break open, reload, continue to swing with the birds, and hit the 3rd bird. He never even interrupted his swing during the reload. Smooth as silk. It wasn't a fluke, either, as he repeated the same feat on several hunts the same season. He tried for the fourth bird each time, but never got it.

Then there's my awesome shot, at age 14, also. I was shooting a 20 ga pump at the end of a narrow field that had trees on both sides. The field acted as a funnel on a flyway leading to a 40 acre lake. I was at the small end of the funnel, where the 2 treelines joined each other. I was expecting birds to fly down the long axis of either treeline, so was looking toward the wide open end of the funnel. But, I suddenly heard the telltale sounds of a dove flying across the funnel, instead of down the long axis. He sounded like he was behind me, crossing from my left to my right. Knowing he would cross the narrow gap too quickly for me to look to my left for his approach, I swung to my right, the natural direction for a "lefty" to swing, expecting to shoot at his tail. -going away. I made the perfect shot, folding him before he could escape into the treeline only 10 yards to my right! I figured that with his flight speed of about 45 mph, I had a window of opportunity of about a tenth of a second!

Damn, I sure used to be good!

P.S., I never repeated such a feat the rest of my life, so far.

So, let's hear YOUR stories, guys/gals.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); August 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.02444 seconds with 8 queries