View Single Post
Old November 4, 2011, 06:22 PM   #21
serf 'rett

As stated above, the XDm can only be used in ESP division of IDPA. I have a full size 9mm that I’ve used for a couple of years, in fact, I use it most often in competition. Tried to talk myself into buying a Glock, but the XDm’s ergonomics felt better for me. A few advantages of the XDm are short trigger set, good sight radius, smooth trigger (at least in my pistol) and I haven’t experienced mechanical failure to date. The grip safety and trigger safety make it easy to draw and shoot. Additional pluses are the pistol comes with a paddle holster and two mag holder which can be used until you decide if you need an upgrade comp rig. Springfield is running a special - offering 3 free magazines with purchase of a new pistol before November 30. A disadvantage is you will be locked into ESP division only. It's also a little harder to find accessories for the XDm.

Before you plunk down the cash for the new completion 5.25 Springfield, you may need to make sure it will fit in an IPDA box (I don’t think this is a problem) and that the cutout in the slide in not considered “slide lightening” as defined by in the rulebook – “Slide, lightening: Removal of portions of the slide to gain a competitive advantage.” Slide lightening is an excluded modification in ESP and SSP divisions. You also need to check the weight of the CZ-75; too heavy – no shootie in comp.

I sometimes compete in SSP division with a 40S&W IWI Baby Eagle (steel), which is a CZ-75 based weapon. Disadvantages are a DA/SA trigger and slide mounted safety. I would list the weight as a disadvantage; however, it appears to be a plus in dampening the 40S&W recoil. A few advantages are better ergonomics (for me), a great SA trigger after the first shot, better accuracy and just fun to shoot. Any pistol approved for SSP can be used in ESP (or CDP if .45 caliber), provided the pistol meets all other division criteria. Thus a stock service pistol could allow you to compete in either SSP or CDP.

Carrying the pistol concealed is a different animal. I have carried both of the above in Uncle Mike simple clip on nylon holster (I don’t recommend this) and in a Crossbreed Super Tuck (a good piece of equipment); however, I normally opt for something smaller and lighter nowadays. The steel frame IWI BE is a heavy hulking thing requiring serious support to keep the pants up. The poly frame XDm was a much easier carry, but still took some conditioning, as any full sized pistol will require. I’m a large guy so I can perhaps carry a larger pistol easier; yet it’s really easy to carry one of the smaller pistols. Your size and disposition may be big factors in determining what and how you will carry. After carrying a full size pistol for a while, you may find yourself getting one of the smaller jobs for carry, while retaining your first love for competition and home defense (also known as the 870 Remington backup).

Which platform to get between the XDm and CZ-75? Dang hard choice because I’d want both for different reasons. Guess that didn’t help much. I’d lean toward the poly pistol if I was planning on hauling the thing around, but toward the steel CZ for comp. While I haven't shot a M&P, I have heard some folks say they liked them.

Page generated in 0.02255 seconds with 8 queries