View Single Post
Old November 19, 2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Jim243

9mm vs. .45 with a twist

This is an issue I have wrestled with for almost 50 years. In my younger days I went for quantity instead of quality. My weapon of choice was the Browning Hi-Power with 13 +1 rounds of 115 grain Winchester silver tip.

I wanted a through and through hit that would collapse the lungs and leave any attacker incapacitated and unable to breath. I also realized that multiple rounds would be necessary to stop any attacker and the 9 mm has a shorter recovery time for follow up shots.

Well, life does not always follow what we think will happen. The odds of getting that perfect shot in center mass is not really all that good and more likely what will happen is a shoulder shot and maybe only one of those. That's not going to stop someone that is shooting at you as well. Shooting at stationary targets at the range is one thing, real life is another. Moving targets are not that easy to hit, so if you want to hit a moving target your first shot might just be the only one that you actually get.

So for the last 10 years, 45 ACP has been my caliber of choice and carry. If I have my choice I would rather see a 230 grain bullet hit instead of a 115 grain one.

Just my view on it.
Jim

Page generated in 0.03744 seconds with 8 queries