View Single Post
Old July 12, 2012, 08:41 PM   #94
PH/CIB

Ah, Rock and Roll or A Go Go,,,how I love thee! Is full automatic necessary for the individual infantry grunt's rifle??? Good Lord YES! My old M16 would pull up and to the left on full auto and I tried to control it with bursts,,,but walking point, firing up a visible target, firing into cover where you thought the incoming was coming from, putting down covering fire or suppressive fire, recon by fire to try to draw fire from an unseen enemy all are good ways to use full auto by burst fire. The LRRP'S I have read when compromised would break off enemy contact by the point man firing off a mag on full auto and running back through the squad then the slack man would do the same thing then the next man in line would do the same thing until the whole squad had broke off contact. In an ambush you bet I want full auto.

With the new muzzle brakes I have seen videos on You Tube of full auto M14's being shot in 308 and dumping a full 20 round magazine with control.

I do not like the idea of the three round burst mode, the rifleman can control the burst by trigger control or can dump out the full magazine if needed.

We loaded our 20 round mags in Nam with 18 rounds and the VC and NVA had 30 round magazines that always made me mad, except for the fact the 20 round magazines let you get closer to the ground, with bullets flying just overhead and inch or two lower can mean life or death.

Anyone who has been in a firefight with incoming full auto fire from rifles and machine guns knows how terrifying it is and to have just a semi auto for outgoing fire would make you feel at a disadvantage and if you think while being fired at by one or a squad or a platoon or a company of soldiers with full auto weapons that you are going to coolly pick them off one by one on semi auto fire you are a better man than I am.

As far as body armor I am all for it, we did not have any we did not have flak jackets and it was torture to make the hump in the jungle and mountains of the Central Highlands of Viet Nam carrying ridiculously heavy loads as a grunt living out of a ruck for weeks at a time,,,our soldiers who do that today with the additional burden of body armor which is hot and heavy and hard to fire and manuever in are some of the toughest men we have ever produced. The Body Armor saves lives.

To go back to a semi auto rifle from a select fire rifle with semi auto and full auto capability would be a step backwards and a disservice to our troops.

But no matter what,,,don't even think about taking away my radio,,,FIRE MISSION!
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net

Last edited by PH/CIB; July 12, 2012 at 08:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.04007 seconds with 8 queries