View Single Post
Old November 8, 2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Saltydog235

I had a Shorthair, Abby, that I messed up and shot too close to her when she wasn't but 4 or 5 months old. She got real shy of the gun to the point she stayed between my legs every time I picked it up, no matter where. However, she loved the birds, retrieving and working. I sent her to a trainer that worked with her some and she broke it. I took her home and went hunting, as soon as I broke open the O/U its was the same. I finally switched over to a Benelli and she broke a little away and worked but was still hesitant. I put the gun down and let her work the birds, run them up and get really involved. I'd let her go and wait until she was well off before just pulling the trigger to make noise. Eventually she got to where she hardly ever paid attention to it and ran with the boys. She ended up being a heck of a birddog and family member.

I've had some good dogs in my life but there isn't one that can ever take her place with me. Give it time, be gentle but firm, don't push it too had and work with the dog, take what it gives you and build on it. Patience is the key to get one back.

Page generated in 0.04170 seconds with 8 queries