View Single Post
Old May 14, 2009, 09:49 AM   #28
David Armstrong

Quote:
No offense to what you said, but have you actually watched an actual criminal trial lately? There are more theatrics going on than 'business'.
No offense taken, Capt, and I watch (and participate in) criminal trials regularly. The court has always been a place for theatrics, but that is part of the business and does not mean we don't get a good trial.
Quote:
Like I said, The punks childhood, backround, ect. should have no meaning. Only the facts.
But those are part of the facts. That sort of stuff has always been part of the judicial system we use.
Quote:
Lawyers have turned our judicial system into a joke. They all try to get reduced charges, less time, ect. And they use every trick they can get.
It is not a joke, far from it. And that is the defense attorney's job, to try to get their clients charges reduced, less time, etc. And those "tricks" happen to be a little thing known as "due process."
Quote:
As far as punks or their families suing, there have been plenty of cases where this has happened. The punk was committing a crime, and as a result, got injured or killed. What right does he or his family have to recover damages? NONE!
There have been a few cases of it happening. They are rare, and it is even rarer for them to win unless the victim has done something fairly outrageous. As for what right they have? It is called the law, and they have the same right to sue as you have. No difference.
Quote:
It is past time our country gets as tough as they can on criminals.
We are already one of the toughest in the world, with a higher incarceration rate than virtually any other modern country. We are tougher now than we have been in the past. FWIW, states with the highest incarceration rates (toughest on criminals) also tend to have some of the highest crime rates.
Quote:
Like I said, make crime so unappealing, that noone wants to commit it due to the consequinces.
How would you do that? Societies have tried pretty much everything, including the death penalty for things like stealing a loaf of bread, and crime never went away.
Quote:
the law abiding citizen the power to unconditionally defend themselves, loved ones and property and watch how many punks think twice about committing a crime.
Unconditionally? So I should get to blow away my neighbor's six year old girl because she keeps coming over here trespassing on my property? Might want to think a little bit about that one.
Quote:
Make prisons hell instead of a place where a criminal can become a better criminal.
Haven't been in many prisons lately, I would assume. Of course, we can look at history and see where such an idea doesn't work. Crime rates in France did not go down when they were sending folks to Devils Island, for example.
Quote:
Stop all of the lawyers from using loopholes and trickery to get punks off the hook.
As mentioned, those loopholes and trickery are what we call due process, and are designed to keep the government from running roughshod over you. Am I to understand that if you were accused of a crime, rightly or wrongly, you DON'T want your attorney to look for every loophole he can find, or use every legal trick he can, to help you?
Quote:
It sounds tough, but like I said, Irradicate crime, and irradicate the criminal if it has to be.
It sounds a whole lot like the old Soviet Union and a host of Third World dictatorships. Which still have a lot of crime, BTW.

Page generated in 0.03922 seconds with 8 queries