View Single Post
Old January 4, 2014, 02:14 PM   #10
Deja vu

I had the same issue about 12 years ago. In my case the neighbors did not hunt the lot but set it up as a private shooting range. My land is farmed a little but mostly just for hunting. The noise of the shooting range scared away all the deer.

There little lot was may be 10 acres tops. Where my lands are about 200 acres. It really bugged me that they could scare away all the deer. I had worked on attracting deer for years by planting oak for acorns, planting corn for them to hide in and as well as fruit trees, shrubs and a hickory tree for smoking the meat. All for naught!

Any way I fretted about it for about 9 months. That hunting season was the first that I never saw a single deer. I finally talked to the guy and while he was polite he would not stop shooting on his land (again its his right) So I finally did the American thing... I saved some and started working on a small loan and made and offer on the land. Is counter offer was about 3X what I felt the land was worth (there was not home on it). So I came up with a compromise. I also own about 30 acres of land a few miles away. I told them that I would let them shoot there (that's where I shoot too) and let them hunt my land if they would stop shooting. They thought it was a great idea! They have only taken me up on the hunting once but they provided lots of targets for my shooting land (they let me use there targets). They do occasionally have loud parties with bonfires but its miles away and does not bother me.

They built a large pond About 1 acre on the 10 acres and they allow me to hunt waterfowl there when they are not hunting it. We have agreement not to shoot on our land unless we are killing something. Over the years we have become friends. We even went deep sea fishing together 2 years ago in Oregon. I never had to take the money out on the loan and I bought the wife a car with the money I saved.

Over all it was a big win for all of us! I hope you can find a solution for your problems.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Last edited by Deja vu; January 4, 2014 at 02:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.04053 seconds with 8 queries