View Single Post
Old January 18, 2013, 12:27 PM   #14
doofus47

I wish I'd saved a link at the time. I was in Pasadena for work the week after Thanksgiving and on the Monday evening I arrived the news was all a-twitter about 3 bodies found in an Ontario, CA house.
On Tuesday AM, there were a few more details and 1 suspect in custody. Apparently, there was a home invasion by 3 people. The homeowner was armed and the police found the homeowner and 2 perps dead.

B/c I often think about things like capacity and home defense, several thoughts occurred to me in a particular order:
1. TV says "neighbors heard gunfire in the house on Friday night." And I think "and no one called 911? You need new neighbors."
Lesson learned: Maybe you can't reach the phone. Don't expect someone else to call 911. Don't expect that the cavalry is coming.

Then I remembered the stats quoted in your original thread about how poorly police shooting is during real shoot outs and the fact that Californians are only allowed 10 round magazines.
2. The guestimate math: 3 attackers times more than 3 shots per attacker equals how many good guy rounds?
And I would really like to know the details of that police report b/c it's very likely that that homeowner died with an empty magazine in his hand.
Lesson learned: The life that a 10 round mag saves? It might not be your own....

Caveats:
I don't know the full details. It could be that all four people were accustomed to living outside the law and none of them had 10 round magazines. Still, it made me think.

Page generated in 0.03841 seconds with 8 queries