View Single Post
Old August 21, 2011, 10:27 AM   #1
ValGal

NY *intrastate* firearm transport

Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm kinda new to this, and as a NY resident, the regulations seem complicated and I'm afraid I'm going to do something stupid and regret it later.

I understand the intent of the federal laws on transporting firearms to be "if it's legal at the origin and destination, it's okay to transport unloaded, locked in the trunk". Does this thinking apply to intrastate transport as well?

I live on Long Island, and suppose I want to drive through NYC on my way to the hunting lodge in upstate NY with an unloaded shotgun in the trunk. Am I okay here?

Would it be the same answer if I were transporting a handgun instead of a shotgun? What about a large hunting knife or machete (I recall another thread where someone got in trouble having a knife over 4" in NYC)?

How about ammo? I'm planning on bringing a few cases with me, but I'm thinking it might be safer to just buy ammo at the destination?

Lastly, is there any sort of documentation I should carry, such as a hunting license?

Thanks so much in advance for any input...

Page generated in 0.02302 seconds with 8 queries