View Single Post
Old January 3, 2002, 07:15 AM   #7
BiG_MaN

I polished the flats on the slide of my Stainless Kimber this past weekend. It took me about 2 hours and the finish came out to a near mirror finish. First get a piece of 1/4" glass about 1' square, you need a true flat surface. You'll need some sandpaper, get the kind thats for wood and metal in 220, 300, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. Get extra of the 220, and 300 as these are the two you'll spend the most time with, also try to get full size sheeets of sandpaper they are easier to work with. Once you have the sandpaper and glass tape the first piece of sandpaper to the glass using duct tape. Disassemble the slide and make sure your sights do not protrude past the flats on the slide. Then carefully work the slide long ways across the paper, I used a back and forth motion, use firm pressure. Be sure to not let the slide slip and sand the rounded surfaces. If your slide is like me there will be some "low" areas on the slide that will have a frost apperance after you work it with the 220 grit. Work the slide on the 220 grit until yo get an even dull sheen with the 220 grit with no frost. Work your way up the grits through 2000. You should now have a very smooth finish. I used Flitz as a final polish. I think it looks good with the polished flats and bead blasted rounds. I though about doing the frame but though it would be to hard to keep finger prints and oil off the frame. Let us know how it turns out.

Page generated in 0.02727 seconds with 8 queries