View Single Post
Old October 12, 2013, 10:26 PM   #55
steveNChunter

Quote:
Quote:
Had I been using my 7MM Mauser or .260, I doubt it would have gone 50 yards at a flat out run if hit in the same place.

You never can tell- I've seen 'em run 300 yards with their heart blown in two from a hot loaded .270WIN, and I've seen 'em flipped over backwards into the dieing cockroach position by a short barrelled, very lightly loaded 8mm Commission Rifle..... every one is different.
I haven't had a deer run more than about 30 yards in the past few years. Guess I've just gotten lucky. What has really amazed me this year is the performance of my new muzzleloader. I got a T/C Impact .50 caliber and I use 250 gr Barnes TMZ's and 100 volumetric grains of Blackhorn 209. I've taken two healthy size does with it this year and they both were dead before they hit the ground. Instant rigor mortis. No kicking or anything. I've had several DRT kills with my centerfire rifles but none as instant as these two kills.

How does this relate to the topic of the .30-30? Just because you don't have blazing velocity doesn't mean you can't put a deer down with the quickness. My load for my muzzleloader has a MV around 1900-2000 fps. I shot both those deer right at a hundred yards so that bullet had lost a little steam by then. But the bullet I was using was made to open up even at very slow velocities.

On the other side of that, If you were to load a bullet designed for .30-30 velocity in a .300wm for example, you would most likely have a very large, explosive varmint round.

A bullet made to open up at the right velocity and proper shot placement makes all the difference

Page generated in 0.02287 seconds with 8 queries