View Single Post
Old June 1, 2012, 12:11 AM   #13
GWS

These are all opinions....I'm sure you understand that.

Here's mine: If you are used to paying attention to detail already, you might be able to skip learning on a single station press. I will repeat that. You need to be good at paying attention to details.

Reloading in general requires PATD, but loading on a single you can learn that PATD skill, if it isn't already yours, a lot more safely.

Now, if you are the kind of guy who reads directions well, studies them, understands them and believes them.... BEFORE you dive in , then you'll be able to learn any press without an accident.

If that describes you, I'd still suggest a simple progressive to start out, like the Dillon 550 manual feed, or better yet, the RCBS Pro 2000 manual feed press. Manual feed slows you down enough to prevent getting into too much trouble fast. The Dillon 550 is a 4 station press that is not upgradable, but a great press...at least until you want more options. Then you sell it and buy a 5 station press. The RCBS Pro 2000 is a 5 station press, upgradable to a full auto-advance machine with a simple $105. auto-advance kit. A real have your cake and eat it too press.

All that said, I agree with others that a single station press will eventually be on your bench....first or last....that is the question, isn't it?!.

On the 5 station Load Master....great idea, mediocre execution. Many Lee buying beginners, for the most part, are more successful (IOW's they don't feel like throwing the press in front of a Semi on the Freeway) if they start with Lee's 3 station Pro 1000...and they use only CCI primers (they just physically work better in the primer feed....no I don't know why, they just do.) If budget requires Lee, and you've got to have a progressive, get one for the caliber you shoot most, learn the press, then get another one for another caliber. They are cheap enough to do that. Then you don't have to change the setup for caliber change, at all.---Good Luck with the hobby...its a great one! You will be assimilated!

Last edited by GWS; June 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.03498 seconds with 8 queries