Thread: 45acp 1000fps?
View Single Post
Old September 12, 2010, 10:59 PM   #12
Lost Sheep

Pushing the limits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscot3
Ace's customs converts 1911s to 45 super... I'm not sure what all he does to get them to handle the pressure, but I'd be willing to bet that one thing would be a ramped barrel that adds a little more chamber support to the base of the brass. Kinda like what a Para Ord or Browning Hi Power has.
Stronger recoil spring and maybe a replaceable slide stop cushion that sacrifices itself so your frame doesn't take the beating and eventually crack. I read about the conversions quite a while ago and don't remember much.

Aside from the 45 Super and 45 Win Mag, there is the 460 Rowland. The 460 Rowland is a cartridge based on the 45 ACP dimensions, but just a little longer (like 44 Special vs 44 Mag and 38 special vs 357 Mag and 40 Smith vs 10 mm). That relieves GWS's concern about hot ammo being used in a standard chamber/barreled gun.

However, if you don't separate your brass assiduously, it is possible to reload a 460 Rowland along with your 45 ACP brass, in which case you get one mighty crimp, which you DON'T want. The round so loaded will chamber (and presumably fire, with disastrous results, I am sure) in a standard 45 ACP gun. Ask me how I know. Better yet, don't ask.

Lost Sheep

Inspect everything. Twice.

Page generated in 0.02794 seconds with 8 queries