View Single Post
Old March 8, 2009, 11:32 PM   #9
banditt007

make sure you both keep on you several ways to start a fire... waterproof match's a BIC lighter...the original kind. flint and steel, magnesium fire start ect. have at least two IMO.

bring some vegies w/ you that will hold up. potatoes, you can eat raw if it comes down to it. carrots. these types of veggies are very hardy, and will be fine in your pack for 6 days unrefrigerated no problem.

its going to really suck w/o any type of shelter i can assure you that. i'd suggest bringing at the very least a tarp type thing you can rig up as a wind/rain break and make into a shelter.

BRING ROPE!

very basic fishing gear i'd also suggest. even if it is just some 8lb test and some hooks. bring stuff like rice/beans that you can just throw in water and cook. and will last dry and unrefridgerated.

when you cook on a fire, cook on the hot coals not in the fire itself. in the fire itself you will burn the outside of the food and the inside will still need more cooking.

as for preparing squirrels. an easy way to skin is to cut at the base of the tail and into the meat a bit up the back. say 2 1/2" or so, then cut down alittle down the sides of the animal from that flap...like infront of the back legs going down to the belly. now put the squirrel on its back, step firmly on that flap of skin you made...pinning it to the ground... grab both back feet and pull steadily straight up. this should peel the skin right off, up to the back of the front legs. now get your finger in there and pop out each front leg. now step on all that skin, and get your finger up under the skin in the back legs and pull back. now you just cut off all four feet, and cut the head off. you gut it like a fish basically just make a cut from A-hole all the way up the belly, through the sternum to the neck. pull out the guts and you're good to go.

if that method fails just make a circle cut around the center of the squirrel you hook your fingers under the skin and pull towards the back, while your buddy does the same for the front.

i'd skip the whole water boiling thing if you can help it and get a small water filter. they work amazing and can fill up a 12 oz bottle in around a minute, takes much less time than boiling water and letting it cool. and it tastes like no-name brand bottled water. if you dont want to do that...look this up i'm not sure on the amount....but i think you can put a couple drops of bleach per bottle of water, and it will kill all the evil stuff in it.

you should pick up a good survival book. has soooooo many ideas, and is very interesting.

avoid cotton clothing. once it gets wet its insulation goes down the toilet and takes a long time to dry. fleece and wool are good choices.

well before night fall, collect your fire wood. once you collected all that you think you need get at least 3x's more...trust me on this one.

squirrels if you aren't familar will be like chewing on a car tire unless you cook slow and low. so ideally i'd boil/simmer them for an hour and 1/2 or so if at all possible. or cook them as slow and long as you can.

if you fold up one of those 'baked ziti trays'...those aluminium ones. it fits right in a pack...light weight and can be unfolded and used to cook on, hold water...reflector for rescue ect. you can also bring an untreated piece of gutter guard type material for cooking...

with cooking over a fire if you are going to put the meat of whatever it is on a stick and cook it... get greenwood to do this or soak regular sticks in h20 for as long as you can before hand.

finally dont forget to have fun and RESPECT THE ENVIRONMENT! don't leave anything that wont fully biodegrade fast in the woods. there is nothing that kills a beautiful spot in the woods for me more than finding evidence of another person being there. like they say pack out what you pack in.

Page generated in 0.03582 seconds with 8 queries