View Single Post
Old January 30, 2009, 06:23 AM   #7
mykeal

Quote:
My confusion came by way of the in-line data and the reference to 3 or 3 1/2 loads. It started to sound like a modern shotgun. Wish I understood the real picture.

The OP requested information about CVA's double barrel side by side configuration 12 gauge shotgun; that gun is a sidelock percussion gun.

I interpret his reference to 3 and 3 1/2 as drams, which is often the unit referenced when talking bp shotgunning, especially in the UK. 1 dram is 27.344 grains by weight, so 3 drams is 82 grains by weight; 3 1/2 drams is 102 grains by weight. I have a lead shot measure and a shot flask/pouch with a calibrated spout for shotgunning; both are marked in drams.

The only manual CVA ever published for a percussion shotgun is for their current inline model, but the basic loading information is the same; the shot and powder don't care how many barrels there are or where they're located, nor where the ignition flash comes from. So, the link provided by Fingers is appropriate, even for the old sidelock configuration.

Does that help?

Page generated in 0.03659 seconds with 8 queries