View Single Post
Old February 26, 2016, 01:56 AM   #1
k2man

new brass FL resized not fitting chamber of new 270 Win rifle

I have a new Tikka T3 .270 Win Stainless bolt action rifle that I haven't yet fired. I'm starting to load some ammo, and I'm new to reloading rifle ammo.

I bought new Hornady brass and have a new Hornady Custom full length resizing die. I resized some cases using this die - setup to solidly bottom out on the shell plate.

I removed the firing pin and ejector pins from the bolt. I inserted a full length resized new brass into the ejection clip on the bolt, slid the bolt and brass into the chamber. The bolt turns freely about 1/2 of it's rotation, then stops. It requires about 5 to 10 lbs (considerable force with my thumb) to close the bolt fully. When I remove the brass, it has a scratch full diameter just into the shoulder very near the body (see photo).

I'm getting a scratch or scrape (not deep, but clearly seen) from the resizing die in the same location. This scratch is at 1.983" from the back of the case. (see photo)

My Lyman Reloading Manual shows the body/shoulder intersection to be at 1.948". This intersection on my cases is clearly longer than that - by .015 or .020" - difficult to pick where the body ends/shoulder starts, but somewhere past 1.948 but less than 1.983 (where the scratch is).

Using Hornady gauges, I measured to the ogive (.375" dia) and get .010" under the 2.052" that I believe the manual shows to be the maximum. (see photo)

I thought the full length resizing die would push the shoulder back, but my die did not.

What's going on here? x2
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scratched brass from T3.pdf (419.7 KB, 682 views)
File Type: pdf 270 win brass measured to ogive.pdf (606.5 KB, 597 views)
File Type: pdf 270 Win brass dimensions.pdf (619.9 KB, 593 views)

Last edited by k2man; February 27, 2016 at 11:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.03385 seconds with 9 queries