View Single Post
Old February 17, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1
iraiam

logical reason to keep "high cap magazines"

I wanted to put this in a thread I read several days ago but it is now closed.

I ran across this on another site, I don't think it's copyrighted, it was a debate between 2 persons. I found the paragraphs below to be quite logical. I have spent several thousand dollars on weapons and tactics training over the last several years and I think I agree, but I am certainly no expert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The utility of magazine round capacity depends greatly on whether the shooter is an offensive or defensive scenario.

The offensive shooter has considerable advantages over a defensive one. A person hellbent on shooting as many people as quickly as possible has the element of surprise on their side. They can pick the time and place of their choosing to inflict the most damage. They can equip themselves with as many magazines as they can physically carry for their attack. They have the opportunity to practice/train "tactical reloads" up until the very moment they decide to attack.

A person put in a defensive scenario has none of these advantages at their disposal. The average law abiding gun owner is not carrying as many magazines as possible at all times. Nor are they aware of the need to use their weapon for self defense until the last possible second. They will be fortunate enough to get to their weapon in time, much less additional magazines.

For these reasons, any law limiting magazine capacity clearly gives a tactical advantage to the criminal attacker over the person wishing to simply defend him or herself.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Page generated in 0.02132 seconds with 8 queries