View Single Post
Old September 26, 2012, 08:56 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca:
If that's what he was saying, he should have said it. However ...
Well, at least MLeake got it. He is either very perceptive or I need to double up again on the layers of aluminum foil wrapped around my head so he can't read my mind- my bet is on the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca:
The question in the original post did not ask if we consider velocity or bullet weight to be more important, it asked if we consider velocity or muzzle energy to be more important. Those two come from opposite sides of the equation. Muzzle energy, as has by now been thoroughly explored in this thread, is derived from the bullet weight and the square of the velocity. Those are the two variables, and the muzzle energy is the result -- the product of the equation.

So the original question really asked if we are more concerned with one of the two input factors, or with the output. I am concerned with the output -- especially if one of the two input variables is unknown and is not part of the discussion.
I'll be much more concise here for your sake- the point is that whether you consider kinetic energy or momentum to the determinant factor of ballistic performance, you cannot separate mass and velocity from one another in those quantities (kinetic energy and momentum) since they are both dependent upon both variables- mass and velocity.

For that reason, the question asked by the OP, "In a defensive rd for a handgun which is more important to consider....muzzle velocity or muzzle energy?" is meaningless- even nonsensical- since velocity is a component of kinetic energy and momentum.

As a result, the OP's question essentially amounts to asking, "In a defensive rd for a handgun which is more important to consider....muzzle energy or muzzle energy?"

It seems that he had his answer before anyone posted.

Page generated in 0.03786 seconds with 8 queries