View Single Post
Old September 3, 2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Ozzieman

With my experience with the 44 SP and Mag a lot depends on what you’re shooting them in.
The only lead I use is from Penn bullets.
I have used his 200 GR Round nose flat point in both my N frame S&W’s and in the Ruger 77/44 Rifle.
The hard premium grade I have had up to 1500 and it’s worked very well.
Another I have tried is there 320 GR SSK. But only in the Ruger rifle. You should see what this thing does to a gallon jug full of water. Looked like a hand grenade went off.
I have a new one on order which looks interesting and that’s the Penn 180 TCBB. Although it’s rated to over 1600 I will be working it up slowly.
http://www.pennbullets.com/44/44-caliber.html
For jacketed my best work was with the Hornady 200 XTP had the best accuracy of any bullet I have ever tried in my Ruger 44/77 or Marlin lever. With the Ruger 77 I worked up a load that held 3 inch groups at 100 yards.
One that I did not like was the Hornady FTX. It’s a great bullet with factory loads. A good friend uses them for deer and it’s been a great bullet but for reloading I have been unable to find a bullets seater that doesn’t deform the tip badly.
The tried and true 240 Semi wad cutter is a hard bullet to beat and it’s the one I shoot the most. My last order from Penn was for 5000.

Page generated in 0.03443 seconds with 8 queries