View Single Post
Old July 24, 2010, 11:37 PM   #9
noylj

Lead shavings

1) As said, you need more flare (more case belling)
2) I found that I needed a larger exapnder. The standard expander leaves case so small that my swaged bullets were getting "re-sized." A 9mm Mak exapnder will allow you to set the bullet into the case enough that it doesn't tip. That long wadcutter tends to want to tip and get nicked by the brass. It needs support while being seated (either the Hornady seat die or a larger expander so bullet can sit deep enough not the tip).
3) I also like the Hornady seating dies, except that I have had one "fail." Apparently, the bushing, that attempts to align the bullet, wore out (made elliptical) one of the holes for the spring clip by "clunking" down on it over and over. After that, just about every time the bushing came down, it would crash on the shell plate. I bought a blank die from Hornady and tend not to let the bushing drop free.
4) I de-prime while sorting brass and before cleaning. Because of this, I only need the decapper on the sizing die to knock out any kernal of corn cob media I missed. I found that unsized cases were more accurate in my S&W M52 and I used the body of the Lee FCD to size cases for revolvers (unsized cases will not drop freely into the cylinder).
5) The best crimp die I have found, at least for my .38 Special loads, is the Redding Profile Crimp Die.

Page generated in 0.03770 seconds with 8 queries