View Single Post
Old September 6, 2008, 06:39 PM   #2
darkgael

H-s .22

High Standard pistols. When discussing H-S pistols, it helps to understand that you are referring to more than one company, producing pistols of different quality over nearly six decades.
The original High Standard manufacturing co. began producing pistols in 1951. Most of their pistols were produced at the factory in Hamden, Conn.
Those pistols were and remain the finest American made target pistols ever produced. Those pistols are available fairly often at places like Gunbroker.com.
Look on the frame to see that the gun was made in Hamden, Conn.
After H-Ss fortunes began to fall, which had nothing to do with the quality of their guns, they moved to Hartford, Conn. Many of the guns produced there were inferior to the Hamden pistols.
So, you can see that there is no customer service for the originals.
They are extremely accurate, perhaps the best factory trigger ever, easy to clean, and given care, extremely reliable. I have a Victor model that has been my Bullseye match .22 for many years. I don't know how many CASES of ammo I have put through it but it has only rarely ftf.
You will hear that they are finicky about magazines. True enough. Factory magazines work the best.
Since the original company's failure in the 1970's, the tooling for the guns and the name of the company have changed hands three times that I know of. I do not know about these more recent guns.
Pete

Page generated in 0.03590 seconds with 8 queries