Thread: No Choice?
View Single Post
Old November 12, 2007, 03:36 PM   #1
roy reali

No Choice?

This past weekend they had a charity pheasant hunt here. A friend and I participated. We both got our allotted(2) birds. Today I decided to hunt one of the planted areas to see if I could could get lucky and snag any left-overs.

I did get lucky. I did bag one pheasant. But, I did it in an unconventional way.

My dog and I had just crossed a fence. There was a tree with some brush just beyond it. My dog bee-lined into the brush. A second latter I heard a cackle and I heard a flush. The pheasant flew up into the tree. It landed on a branch about 15 feet up. He stood there right in the open. I then decided to walk towards it and shoot it when it flew. He decided to just stand on that branch. I jumped up and down, yelled at it, waived my cap, and threw assorted objects at it. That bird was not going to budge. My dog was even under him barking. After ten minutes I made up my mind.

I backed about ten or so yards away from the bird. I aimed my shotgun and blasted him out of the tree. I know this is unethical and unsporting, but this bird wasn't going to budge.

I felt kind of bad. I wanted a flying shot to give it a chance. I felt like I had no choice.

What would you have done?

Page generated in 0.02640 seconds with 8 queries