View Single Post
Old January 2, 2002, 10:41 AM   #4
Hand_Rifle_Guy

It's not a two-barrel set; one smoothbore (left) one rifle bore (right). the rifle bore is a liner set in the smoothbore barrel. I'm pretty sure it's authentic, as I read that Parker made some of these in the Parker book. Unfortunately, I read that some years ago, and my Parker book is buried in storage right now, or I might not need to ask this question! (Forgive me, I'm between houses right now, and the rental market round these parts is brutal lately.)

The letter stamped on the table is just a "V", no H, but the amount of wear on this gun is consistent throughout, so if it's a fake, it's really good.

Oooops, I goofed. The serial is 87,XXX. I transposed the first two numbers in my head. That would make it a later, but not much later, built gun. 70% is a pretty good asessment of this gun's condition, and this dealer is known to me to price stuff right out of the book, so that's probably a good endorsement.

I have a Parker 10 ga. hammer gun (T-stamp) that actually displays less use than this one. It has "twist" barrels, read coarse damascus or "skelp", serial 74,XXX. It shows comparable workmanship, and commonality of markings and construction details. near as I could find out, this one was made around 1885.

I got it from the same guy, for $1100, but I wasn't to sure about that price either as the refernces have very little to say about the hammer guns. But I have seen comparable 12's and 10's advertised in the Double Gun Journal for anywhere from $700 to $1500, so I don't regret buying it. Plus I really like it, but I wish I could shoot it.

Here's a little more info to work with, and thanks for the assistance. I'm going to go digging, and check out gunshop.com.

Edit: Gunshop.com's production tables list my 10 ga. as 1892, the combo as 1897. Thanks!

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G

Page generated in 0.03221 seconds with 8 queries