Thread: Shooting Games
View Single Post
Old September 16, 2010, 07:52 PM   #48
woodguru

My friend and I will set up cans such as 10 on each side and see who can clear theirs first, the range gets kicked further and further as we go.

I set him up big time after selling him a Ruger 10/22 target with the hammer forged barrel and a Pentax scope. I had had that rifle for ten years or more but when I got my Rem 597 I didn't need it anymore, I think the 597 is a way better rifle in many respects. I asked him if he thought he could shoot more than me of 100 cans in a "shoot as fast as you can go" type match. He got two clips from me and hadn't picked up anymore.

Meanwhile I had accrued almost 20 magazines and had tuned up most and those that weren't dead reliable were good with five or six bullets but not all the way full. Larry is a competitive little bugger and wanted to go a buck a can on the offset. I was having a tough time as he dug himself deeper and deeper with terms. I asked him if he wanted a reload clause and he said heck no, you load at your own speed.

I had 12 magazines ready to roll with CCI Geen Label target loads. We decided on about 80 yards and put a little dirt in each can so there would be no low shooting that topples three or four cans a shot if done right (I had already pulled that one on him before.

We start and I'm paying attention to his mag change speed, it's horrible because of the typically fussy Ruger magazine removal and insertion. Meanwhile the 597 mag drops out and free with the lightest touch, and a new one clicks home in a split second. As he's reloading his first mag after burning 20 rounds he watches me drop a mag and put my fourth one in, he's still loading as I put my fifth one in at which point I'm approaching the middle point of the line. He yells out "hey, how many friggin clips do you have?" I was laughing hard enough that it was making me miss more shots as I told him he was the one that didn't want a reloading clause. I added that he better hurry up or he was going to owe me thirty or forty bucks.

He wanted a rematch that stopped at 20 rounds for a reload, 80 yards was just enough that the difference in ammo was decisive, I had target loads that cost eight or nine bucks or so for 100 and he was using bulk whatever.

We have done the same with bolt actions, I have a CZ HM2 varmint with a 6-18x Buckmasters side focus that is sweet for cans at out to 100 yards. A .22 just won't keep up with a hit ratio at longer .22 ranges like that.

I like competitive practice like that.

Page generated in 0.03876 seconds with 8 queries