View Single Post
Old February 16, 2019, 06:15 PM   #29
ThomasT

Easy choice for me and I made that choice way back around 1981. A few years before that an older guy told me if I liked shooting to try out a 22 magnum. A few years later I did. Walmart had a Marlin model 783 bolt action tube fed 22 mag for $115.00. So I bought it and a couple of boxes of Winchester ammo.

It was love the first time I shot it. It was a step up from the 22 I normally shot and worth the extra cost to me. In shooting small game it was almost too effective. It is not a squirrel or rabbit round. Not if you plan on eating them. I still have that first 783 and added a stainless laminated stocked 883 I found in a pawn shop for $135 OTD. I don't think they knew what they had.

I have only shot one 17RF rifle and it was OK but not something I cared to invest in. I have never shot a 22 Hornet but would consider buying one if I found a smokin' deal on one. But since I reload 223 I can reproduce the Hornet round. I have a very accurate H&R Handi in 223 with a 1/9 twist that would work great for Hornet sub loads. And since I have been known to carry 50 rounds of 12ga ammo when hunting a ways away from the truck on a dove hunt I don't think the weight of a load of centefire 22 ammo would be a big deal.

I agree with the idea of just having a RF round I don't have to worry about finding and keeping the brass to reload. I reload for everything else and having a decently powered round I don't have to chase brass for is a plus to me.

I really like the 22 mag ammo loaded by Armscor. I have shot a bunch of it and it shoots right along side of the Winchester 22 mag ammo. Armscor also loads 22 mag ammo for Fiocchi and they have a great reputation. I bought 4,000 rounds of Armscor from Sportsmans Guide a few years ago for $5.65 a box. You can still find it for around $6.50 a box if you shop on line.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/rimfi...int-50-rounds/

Last edited by ThomasT; February 16, 2019 at 06:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.03726 seconds with 8 queries