View Single Post
Old November 15, 2013, 12:10 PM   #100
Wyosmith

My daughter is only 5 foot nothing, and she weighs 117 pounds. She lives and works in a dental office in Oregon and she likes to be armed when she is at work.

I made her a high ride pancake holster some years ago which she carries in the center of her back. In it rides a full size steel frame 1911 and she loves it.

You may want to look at that kind of holster for carry. It hides easily under a loose shirt if you want to conceal. Full side duty handguns do not hade as easily as smaller guns, but with the right kind of holster and clothing it can be done well The secret to comfort in a high ride holster is to have it made of heavy enough leather that it doesn't sag outwards and also to make it wide enough to spread the bulk and weight of the gun out. It’s nice to carry openly too.

If you have to wear form fitting clothing then it’s just a fact that a large handgun is not going to be hidden on your body. But when you need to hide it, just throw on a shirt or windbreaker and you are good to go. The rest of the time, just carry openly.

For years I carried a 6.5" S&W 44 in such a holster, and I did it in places and in weather that would cause most folks to think a concealed handgun would not be available.
The big “trick” to carrying unnoticed is to not attract the eyes of other people much. That’s a matter of wearing clothing that is not designed to “show off”. When I was working for the government I would wear clothing that made me blend in as much as possible.

A fact that cannot be removed from that equation is unavoidable.
Some people just “stand out”.

A very pretty lady is always going to be one of those people. You can reduce that to some extent, but you cannot eliminate it.

When I was working for the DOD there were places some of us were just not sent into if we needed to hide. The man had to fit the job.

One of my friends was 6 foot 7 inches tall and weights about 275. There was NO WAY he was going to blend into the population of Thailand. But in Russia and in Norway he was fine. You see my point I am sure.

If you need to hide the gun you MUST blend in as much as you can, so as not to be remembered in the crown or attract the eyes of people more than just a passing glance.

In some cases a gun of very small size, or even a small knife might be worth thinking about

Back to my 1st point;
I know of no one making this kind of holster commercially, but any good custom holster maker can do it and they don’t cost much either.

If you’d like, PM me and I can give you the phone number of CJ Vandermuhlen in Riverton Wyoming. He does wonderful work and is very reasonable in his pricing. He made a pancake high ride for a 6” Ruger revolver for a friend of mine about 2 months ago and he charged only $65 for it. This kind of holster places the gun about 2/3 of the way up and 1/3 down from the belt line He can make the “ride’ anywhere you’d like it. 50/50, 60/40, 70/30, or what ever

I have a CZ-75 that I can loan him to pattern the gun, if you would like him to make one for you.

Page generated in 0.02320 seconds with 8 queries