Thread: Mosin Nagant
View Single Post
Old November 22, 2019, 08:20 AM   #67
Josh Smith

Quote:
Lets see , I was ranked 42nd in the US in National Benchrest shooting my last year of that.
Maybe you can shoot. I dunno. You need to cite references to back up your claims.

Quote:
I am a custom gunsmith and run a ballistics lab,
What shop? What lab? References please.

Quote:
I do not cut out cork for rifles though.
Your prerogative. It works to center the barrel in the channel and tones down the harmonics in lighter barrels. Pressure bedding the barrel is a thing, and cork works well when you do not want to alter the rifle. It's not my first choice for sporting rifles, but for milsurp, it's works well.

Quote:
I developed the .460 S&W,
References? I thought it was developed in-house at S&W, and based on the .454. Even if you did this, it's not a huge step to stretch the cartridge a bit more. Wildcatters have done this type of thing for years.

Quote:
the 350 Win Legend
... and again, references?

Quote:
and built AR-15's for it 4 years ago.
A lot of people build ARs for a lot of different rounds. I'm glad you were able to make a living.

Quote:
It is not so much that I disagree with you , it is that you are a rank beginner in your knowledge
Opinions vary.

Quote:
and I am trying to explain shooting to you.
Nobody asked you to.

Quote:
Please explain what part of my post you do not understand.
Mostly the parts where you purport to be an expert, but make claims you don't back up with references and/or fall on their figurative faces logically.

Listen: For the purposes of this thread here, you're claiming that establishing known pressure points on the receiver via the shims, tightening contact with the recoil lug, and centering the barrel in its channel while establishing a known pressure point that also happens to dampen the harmonics, will not have positive effects on precision.

Problem is, it demonstrably does improve precision, and has since at least the 1930s when the Russians an Finns both did very similar bedding work on their Mosins.

Look, man: I have no doubt that your heart's in the right place. However, we cannot just take your word for it, without references to back it up, that everything we've learned is wrong. You cannot function as an authority because you've made claims you cannot or will not back up. If perhaps you can verify your claims as to who you are an what you've done, we will maybe take you a bit more seriously. However, as it stands, you sound like you have a tactical assault wheelbarrow and might just be named "John Melvin Davis."

That's how you come across.

We should discuss 1911 pistols next. I'm half tempted to do that.

Josh

Last edited by Josh Smith; November 22, 2019 at 10:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.02308 seconds with 8 queries