View Single Post
Old February 10, 2012, 05:58 PM   #1
dendang

Colt 1861 Navy problem and questions (pic)

Hi all, I'm new to blackpowder and this forum, but was told this is the place to go. I recently purchased (from what I can tell after much research) a 2nd generation Colt 1861 Navy purchased new in 1980-ish. I'll post photos this evening, but I took it to shoot last night and had problems with two of the 6 cylinders not firing once the hammer was dropped.

A little background: The revolver is used but one owner. It's nicely taken care of with no rust. I was told it was cleaned with soap and warm water after each use, but it has sat mostly for the last 5 years. I used 20 grains of newly purchased FFF black powder, .375 lead ball, borebutter soaked felt patches and CCI #10 caps. For the cylinders that shot, the shots were accurate. I was able to get the non-firing cylinders to fire by backing the nipples out 1/2 turn. This suggests worn nipples, right? And, as the previous owner tells me, there's a chance that these were the wrong nipples to begin with. Great.

So, my questions are,
1. Where do I get the correct nipples that should be in the gun?
2. How do I tell the proprietor what I actually need? Everyone I've talked to thinks I have an Uberti or a Stoeger or a ....
3. How do I confirm that I have what I think I have. There are no proof marks from any of the Italian makers of any kind. Only Colt.
4. I'd also like to replace some of the screws in the grip frame as some have become rounded through regular maintenance. Surely, Stoeger or Uberti ones woun't fit, right? Again, where do I get the "right" stuff?

Primarily, my concern is that the threads match and don't damage the gun. The pistol is worn, but I just want return it to firing condition and use the crap out of it.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or direction.

Last edited by dendang; February 10, 2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Pic added.

Page generated in 0.02754 seconds with 8 queries